Kavala, is the second largest city in northern Greece, the principal seaport of eastern Macedonia and the capital of Kavala peripheral unit. It is situated on the Bay of Kavala, across from the island of Thasos. Kavala is located on the Egnatia motorway and is a two-hour drive to Thessaloniki (160 km west) and forty minutes drive to Drama (37 km north) and Xanthi (56 km east). As you enter Kavala, you will admire the panoramic view of the town that is nestled between the slopes of the surrounding hills and the northern coast of the Aegean Sea.
Coordinates: 40°56′N 24°24′E
The city was founded by settlers from Thassos in about the 6th century BC, who called it Neapolis.
Neapolis was a town of Macedonia, and the harbor of Philippi, from which it was distant 14 km. It probably was the same place as Datum, famous for its gold mines, and a seaport, as Strabo intimates: whence the proverb which celebrates Datum for its good things.
It became a Roman civitas in 168 BC, and was a base for Brutus and Cassius in 42 BC, before their defeat in the Battle of Philippi. The Apostle Paul landed at Kavala on his first voyage to Europe.
Read more of the history of Kavala at Wikipedia’s website
Kamares (The old Aqueduct): The Old Aqueduct, the Medieval Aqueduct, is work of the Byzantine period, which held extensive repairs during the Ottoman rule, particularly during the reign of Suleiman the Magnificent and Legislator (1530 AD approx.) This double arch structure was designed to bridge the peninsula of Panagia with the foot of the mountain of Lekani. It was used to carry water from mountain sources (six kilometers north from the ‘Mother of Water “or” Soumpasi “or” The Three Elms”) in today’s” Old Town “- Panagia, with the main water source situated at an altitude of 400 m and other complementary lower sources of supply. This grand monument has a length of 280 m consists of 60 arches of four different sizes and has a maximum height of 25 meters.
The Castle of Kavala dominates the top of the peninsula, where the old city is built. During the Byzantine period and later, repeated reconstruction works and fortification repairs were made by the Byzantines, Venetians and Turks. Substantially, all the phases of the Modern History affect the castle and left their traces on its walls. The castle (Citadel) in its current form was built in the first quarter of the 15th century, relying on foundation from the Byzantine period. At the outdoor theatre are organized cultural events.
The Imaret, a big edifice of the late Ottoman period, a classic example of Islamic architecture located on the west side of the peninsula of Panagia (old town). It is one of the last built in this particular period and the only one survived almost intact. Its largest part was built, between 1817-1821 by the founder of the last Egyptian dynasty, Mehmet Ali. For sentimental reasons, the Wali of Egypt wanted to benefit his hometown with this religious, educational and charitable institution. It operated as a Muslim seminary – internship and “workhouse” for all the poor of the city regardless of religion.Since 1922, the Imaret spaces were used to house refugees. In 1931, in order for the adjacent street to be widened, a part of Imaret was demolished. In 1967 the residents (refugees mostly) of Imaret were ordered to leave and the monument was sealed.Until the regulation of the ownership, Imaret remained completely deserted. After the settlement of property issues a part of it operated as bar and restaurant while other parts were used as warehouses. In 2001 it was leased for 50 years to an entrepreneur from Kavala, it was restored and converted into a luxurious and elegant hotel, which maintains something of the ambience of its era.
The Archaeological Museum of Kavala is located towards the western end of the Ethnikis Antistasis road in Kavala. The museum was established in 1934, and reopened in 1964 in its current premises. Τhe museum as it stands today was built by the architects D. Fatouros and G. Triantaphyllides, professors of the Polytechnic School and the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki between 1963 and 1964. The museum has been referred to as the most important archaeological museum in Eastern Macedonia and one of the most important museums in Greece. The museum contains prehistoric artifacts found all over the Kavala Prefecture such as in Neapolis (old Kavala), Amphipolis and places such as Oisyme, Galypsos, Dikili Tas, Tragilos, Mesembria, Nikisiani and Avdira.
Folklore Museum of Kavala: The Municipal Museum of Kavala first opened in 1988 and was housed for about 20 years in a neoclassical building on Filippou street. Recently, its exhibits have been transferred to the building of the Municipal Tobacco Warehouse of Kavala, at Kapnergatis Square, where for the time being only its administrative services are in operation. However, soon the works will have finished and the Museum will start operating again fully at these new premises. The museum is separated under the following departments. (Historical Archives, Ethnographic Collection, Art Collection, Natural History, Library, Museum education)
The Tobacco Museum of Kavala is a thematic museum, which includes objects and archival material for the cultivation and the production of tobacco, its commercial and agricultural processing, its industrial tobacco products and exhibition samples. It not only includes and exhibits the commercial processing of the Eastern Tobacco (not found in any other museum in the world) but it also showcases the social history of Kavala and the rest of the Eastern Macedonia and Thrace. Its collection is extremely rich. It includes objects used in the cultivation of tobacco, machinery, photographs, rare documents (bank documents, association statutes, etc.). The visitor can also find books on tobacco, publications of the Greek Organisation of Tobacco, archives of the Commercial Tobacco Association, private documents, tobacco maps and drawings, furniture etc.
Kalamitsa Beach: Organised beach of the municipality of Kavala on the west entrance of the city, awarded with the “blue flag” and accommodating a large number of bathers during the summer months. There is no entrance fee. Accessible by buses No. 4, No. 5 and No. 8. On the beach and nearby there are taverns and bars
Toska Beach: Tosca beach is 5 km from Kavala. It has been awarded with the “blue flag” for its clear water and its organisation. It can be reached by taking the coach to Nea Peramos (for more information please call 2510-223593). There is an entrance fee to use the facilities. On the site there is a 4 star hotel, a restaurant and a cafeteria.
Rapsani Beach: For those who can’t leave the city, Rapsani is practically at the centre of it. A municipal beach, organised and awarded with the “blue flag” every year since 2009. There is no admission fee and it can be reached by buses No. 1, No. 4, No. 5, No. 8 and No. 10. A tavern and cafeterias are available.
Batis Beach: A bay 4 km from Kavala. Organised beach awarded with the “blue flag”. There is also an organised campsite with 100 designated spots for camping. There is an entrance fee to use the facilities. The visitors will find water sports, swimming pools, a pool bar, a beach bar and a playground. During the summer months it can be reached by bus No. 8 as well as by taking the coach to Nea Peramos
Periyiali Beach: On the eastern entrance of the city, 2 kilometres from the city centre. A municipal beach, partly organised and awarded with the “blue flag” every year since 2009. Buses to and from Perigiali are No. 2 and No.3. In various parts of the beach there are fish taverns.
Accommodation in Kavala