Agrinio is the largest city of the Aetolia-Acarnania regional unit of Greece, with more than 100,000 inhabitants. It is also the economical center of Aetolia-Acarnania, although its capital is the town of Mesolonghi. The settlement dates back to ancient times. Ancient Agrinion was 3 km northeast of of where the city is today; some walls and foundations of which have been excavated.
According to mythology, it was built by king Agrios, son of Portheus around 1600-1100 BC. The town, built near the banks of river Achelous (the natural border between Aetolia and Acarnania), was claimed by both states during ancient times. It was destroyed by Cassander in 314 BC.From left to right: 1) Stratos artificial lake 2) Bridge over Kremasta Lake 3) Trihonida Lake From left to right: 1) Stratos hydroelectric power plant 2) Lysimachia Lake with the city of Agrinio 3) Tatarna Bridge over Kremasta Lake Kastraki Lake, yet another artificial lake of the area
Lake Stratos is one of the artificial lakes in the area around Agrinio. It is located near Stratos near a pond in which the GR-5/E55 (Antirrio – Arta – Ioannina) viaduct is nearly located. The lake’s has a minimum of 60,000,000 m³ of water and the maximum is 70,200,000 m³. The lake is home to the Hellenic Water Ski Federation and today it functions as the National Waterskiing Centre.
The Acheloos River is dammed by the Stratos Hydroelectric Dam to form this lake.
The dam was first constructed in 1989 and created the Stratos artificial lake, the fourth of the lakes in the Acheloos projects after the Kastraki and Kremasta lakes. In the dam contains four units of electrical production which powers up to 150 MW of electricity.
Lysimachia lake is located west of Agrinio. The Acheloos river flows to the northwest with an artificial flow now to the east and an old natural flow near the lake. The area is 13.2 km², it is 17 km in length, its depth is around 9 m. East of the lake features another lake in the Great Aetolian Fields, the Trichonida Lake which has an ecosystem. The lake offers a view of the city of Agrinio to the southeast.
In the older times, the two lakes were one. The area was filled with many travelers between the 19th and the 20th centuries where the area around the lakes were filled with impenetrable forests. After the construction of the GR-5 (E55) which passes between the two lakes, canals and ditches were added.
Stratos is situated on the right bank of the river Acheloos, 9 km northwest of the town Agrinio. The Greek National Road 5 passes through the village. The Stratos Hydroelectric Dam, which forms the Stratos reservoir fed by the river Acheloos, lies to its northeast. The area north of Stratos is mountainous, whereas the south is flat.
In classical antiquity, Stratos was the main town of Acarnania. Being placed at the northern edge of the fertile Acheloos plain made it a centre of great military importance. The ruins of ancient Stratos lie on a hillside about 500 m north of the modern village. A temple of Zeus, a theatre and fortifications have been excavated.
The Archaeological Museum of Agrinion
Diamanti & Kazantzaki 1 Str., Τ.Κ. 30100, Agrinio, Greece
Tel: +30 26410 27377
Greek and Italian cuisine, sea food
Herakleitou, Gianouzi, Agrinio 30100, Greece
Tel: +30 26410 57293