Skiathos is a paradise for you who love nature. This Greek island is the most popular of the islands in the Sporades archipelago in the Aegean Sea. The landscape is covered with pine trees and the more than 60 beaches are hiding in stunning coves among the trees.
Despite its small size, Skiathos attracts a great deal of visitors during summer. Young travellers love Skiathos because of its lively nightlife, but the island has much to offer families as well.
Where is Skiathos Greece?
Skiathos is a small Greek island in the north western part of the Aegean Sea. Skiathos is the westernmost island in the Northern Sporades archipelago, east of the peninsula Pelion on the mainland, and west of the island Skopelos.
Map of the Sporades archipelago
Skiathos – How big is the island?
Skiathos is about 12 km long from its north eastern to its southwestern point and on average 6 km wide. The coastline is beautifully curved with inlets, capes, and peninsulas. You will find most villages and facilities in the southern parts of the island. The highest peak on Skiathos is Mount Karafiltzanaka with 433 m.
What is Skiathos famous for?
Skiathos is famous for its amazing beaches, its green natural landscape, cosmopolitan atmosphere, and its crazy nightlife. With this Greek island you can tick all the boxes for your perfect holidays next summer.
Skiathos Town is the biggest settlement on Skiathos and the main port of the island. The airport is situated in a short distance from Skiathos Town. It has a lovely, romantic waterfront with cosy seaside taverns. It is a pole of attraction to visitors who enjoy the traditional dishes here before heading for the narrow streets of the town.
Why visit Skiathos?
The absolute highlight of Skiathos is its exotic beaches. The best beaches you will find in the southern part of the island but there are all in all more than 60 to choose from. Among the most stunning beaches are Koukounaries beach, Banana beach, and Lalaria beach. Banana beach is most popular with the young tourists because of the many water sport facilities and the legendary beach parties.
Skiathos Beach Guide
- Banana beach – Sandy, water sports, party, nudism friendly, located 13 km southwest of Skiathos Town.
- Koukounaries beach – Sandy, family friendly, party, water sports, located 13 km southwest of Skiathos Town.
- Kanapitsa beach – Sandy, family friendly, water sports, located 7 km southwest of Skiathos Town.
- Vromolimnos beach – Sandy, family friendly, water sports, located 8 km southwest of Skiathos Town.
- Agia Paraskevi beach – Sandy, family friendly, water sports, located 8 km southwest of Skiathos Town.
- Ahladies beach – Sandy, family friendly, water sports, located 5 km southwest of Skiathos Town.
- Troulos beach – Sandy, family friendly, water sports, located 9 km southwest of Skiathos Town.
- Vassilias beach – Sandy, family friendly, water sports, located 6 km southwest of Skiathos Town.
- Megali Ammos beach – Sandy, family friendly, water sports, party, located 2 km west of Skiathos Town.
- Ftelia beach – Sandy, family friendly, harbour, water sports, located 2 km west of Skiathos Town.
- Mandraki beach – Sandy, family friendly, secluded, located 15 km northwest of Skiathos Town.
- Maratha beach – Sandy, family friendly, located 11 km southwest of Skiathos Town.
- Tzaneria beach – Sandy, family friendly, water sports, diving club, located 7 km southwest of Skiathos Town.
- Xenia beach – Sandy, family friendly, located 12 km southwest of Skiathos Town.
- Tsougrias beach – Sandy, located on an islet south of Skiathos, reachable by boat from Skiathos harbour.
Partly organized beaches
- Kolios beach – Sandy, family friendly, water sports, located 8 southwest of Skiathos Town.
- Agia Eleni beach – Sandy, nudism friendly, located 14 km west of Skiathos Town.
- Aselinos beach – Sandy, nudism friendly, located 13 km west of Skiathos Town.
- Plakes beach – Pebbled, harbour, located in walking distance from Skiathos town centre.
- Platanias beach – Sandy, family friendly, water sports, located 8 km southwest of Skiathos Town.
- Xanemos beach – Sandy, secluded, located 3 km northeast of Skiathos Town.
- Lalaria beach – Pebbled, located on the northern coast of Skiathos.
- Glyfoneri beach – Pebbled, secluded, located 5 km northeast of Skiathos Town.
- Kalamaki beach – Pebbled, secluded, located 9 km southwest of Skiathos Town.
- Megas Gialos beach – Pebbled, secluded, located 5 km northeast of Skiathos Town.
- Stigero beach – Pebbled, secluded, located on the northern side of Skiathos.
Skiathos – What to do?
Skiathos Greece is an island with a great variety of activities, there is really something for any taste. Have a look here:
All the organized beaches on the southern side of Skiathos offer a great variety of water sports. Get the blood running faster during your holidays with water games like bananas, jet ski, canoe kayak and more.
Nightlife and parties
The nightlife in Skiathos is one of the first reasons why young visitors prefer the island for their holidays. During the summer months the island is transformed into a party world where you can party with people from all over the world. You will find the best bars and clubs in the neighbourhoods of the Old Harbour and Ammoudia. The restaurants are to be found in Skiathos Town especially around the waterfront.
In Skiathos you will find several diving centres. The crystal-clear waters around Skiathos have a visibility of 20-25 meters and temperatures ranging from 20 to 26 degrees Celsius. Skiathos Diving Center is operating in Koukounaries. All their scuba excursions are starting from their sea-base at the beach of Koukounaries.
Octopus Dive Center is to be found in the new harbour of Skiathos Town. They choose diving sites with a rich marine life. They also offer PADI dive courses.
Dopphin Diving Center Skiathos was the first diving school in Skiathos. In Skiathos they have the permissions to dive around the nearby island of Tsougriaki. They are based in Tzeneria Skiathos.
Organized tours and excursions
One of the most popular activities in Skiathos going on boat trips around the island to discover the exotic coastline like the bay of Lalaria and the medieval castle on the north coast of Skiathos. You can also go on an excursion to the islets south of Skiathos like the uninhabited Tsougria with its stunning beaches for swimming. Another opportunity is to go on a yacht cruise to nearby Skopelos island where most scenes in the Hollywood movie “Mama Mia” were shot.
During your holidays in Skiathos you should at least once try the extraordinary experience of enjoying a movie in an open-air cinema in comfortable chairs under the stars. Attikon Cinema is in the heart of Skiathos Town, in St. Papadiamanti. It is open during the summer months with 3 movies per week and a minibar serving drinks and snacks.
With an exceptionally beautiful wild landscape Skiathos offers you perfect conditions for hiking. The island has a 197 km long hiking path network which should keep nature lovers covered when it comes to exploration in nature.
A biking tour in Skiathos is the perfect way to explore the beautiful landscape. At Skiathos Mountain Bikes you will be guided by a friendly team organizing tours around the island. All the tours are accompanied by a car in case you feel tired or need help.
Skiathos – What to see?
When you need a break from the clubs and the beaches you will discover the great sightseeing in Skiathos. The Venetian fortress Bourtzi in Skiathos Town is a must-visit. You will find it sitting on a peninsula offering a spectacular view of Skiathos Town and the Aegean Sea. Find a list of the most important sights in Skiathos here below.
- Bourtzi fortress – sitting at the entrance of Skiathos port. Built in the 13th century to protect the town, today it is a ruin, but also a popular sight and beautiful place full of pine trees.
- Medieval castle of Skiathos – is in Lalaria on the northern coast of Skiathos. It can be accessed by boat or through a walking path. It once was a Medieval town, built on a cliff. Today you can still see the remains of old churches, walls, and baths.
- Sea Caves – in Lalaria on the northern coast of Skiathos can be accessed on boat tours from Skiathos Town.
- Monastery of Panagia Evangelistria – is located 5 km north of Skiathos Town. It was built in the early 19th century and having contributed to the Greek War of Independence it has a great historical importance for Skiathos.
- House of Papadiamantis – this museum was the home of Alexandros Papadiamantis, a renowned Greek writer, who was living here in the 19th century. The museum is in Skiathos Town and has personal items of the writer as well as folklore pieces on display.
- Monastery of Panagia Kounistra – is located in the mountainous green area of Aselinos. It was built in the 17th century and is the protector of the island. It has some nice 18th century frescoes.
How to reach Skiathos?
The easiest way to reach Skiathos is by plane. Skiathos International Airport “Alexandros Papadiamantis” receives domestic flights from Athens International Airport all year. The flight duration from Athens to Skiathos is approx. 30 min. During high season Skiathos airport receives flights from different cities around Europe. The airport is located about 5 km from Skiathos town centre, so you would better take a taxi for the transfer to your hotel.
You can also reach Skiathos by ferry. From the port of Agios Konstantinos near Volos and Mantoudi port in northern Evia ferries depart on a regular basis for Skiathos. If you are traveling from Athens, you can reach both Volos and Evia by KTEL bus and then embark the ferry for Skiathos. KTEL buses itineraries http://www.ktelattikis.gr/ Skiathos is connected by ferry with Skopelos and Alonissos as well.
Weather and climate in Skiathos
The climate in Skiathos is very much like the one in the peninsula of Pelion with mild winters with a lot of rain and sunny, warm summers. It is not as hot as in the Cyclades islands, but as the other islands in the Aegean Sea Skiathos has the summer winds called Meltemia, which help reducing the temperatures from ultimo July till medio August.